Adsense

Thursday, April 25, 2013

World Malaria Day

I like hanging out here.

In the 3rd world.

It's perfect.

It's hot. It's humid. It's wet.

The water here is great! It stands around in huge, dirty puddles. People walk through these puddles all day. They get their drinking water there. They wash their clothes and dishes there. I love spending time near that water.

And at night! It's wonderful here at night. Homes are made of sticks and mud and grass. There are no windows to keep me out. When I get in the houses, there isn't much that can stop me. I see unprotected sleeping children and I see dinner. I dive right in. They never even saw me coming.

I am a mosquito.

I carry around malaria and I pass it from person to person. I know there is a drug that can kill this disease, but that doesn't scare me. The people here can't afford that drug. They can't afford the nets to keep me out. When I pass malaria onto a child, there is nothing they can do. Without this precious medicine, there is no cure. In just weeks, this child will be gone.

And the cycle continues

___________________________________________________________________________________

This is a reality for millions of people around the world. People know that malaria exists and what malaria will do to one of their family members if they contract it.

They also know that there is nothing they can do to stop it. When money is short, it comes down to buying food or buying a bed net. As much as it pains parents, food has to come first.

April 25th is World Malaria Day.

Want to fite back? Actually, do you want to Bite Back? Show those mosquitos who's boss!

Compassion has a wonderful program where you can do just that. You can help change this cycle of disease.

Visit this page to learn more about Compassion's Bite Back program\

Here, you can make a one time donation. No donation is too small to make a change. Your money will be used to provide families with treated bed nets for families. The money will also go towards treating those with malaria and teaching families how to prevent from getting malaria again.

This is an absolutely worthy cause. Help Bite Back!



No comments:

Post a Comment