I totally forgot to post this last month. Better late than never, right?
In May, I wrote two letters to my sponsored children. The first letter was simply a list of questions about the children's personalities and what kinds of things they like. I've found that mailing just a list of questions yields a better success of the children actually answering them.
The second letter I wrote was about my church and what it's like. I asked each child to tell me about what it's like at their church.
I will share the letters now:
In this letter, I would like to ask you some questions about you and what you are like. You don't have to answer all of the questions in this letter. Do not worry if you don't answer them all. I am happy to learn anything about you that you would like to tell me about. I will ask you questions and I will also answers these questions so you can learn new things about me too.
1. Some things that make me happy are my family, my friends, and music. What things make you happy?
2. When I am sad, I like to listen to music and talk to my friends. What cheers you up when you are sad?
3. Some things I am afraid of are spiders and storms. What are you afraid of?
4. I do not have a nickname. Do you have a nickname? Can I call you that?
5. I use my right hand to write with. What hand do you write with?
6. I got to bed at 10:00 at night and I wake up at 5:00 in the morning. What time do you go to bed at night? What time do you wake up in the morning?
7. I believe that I look most like my father. What family member do you think you look the most alike?
8. My favorite sport to play is basketball. Do you have a favorite sport?
I hope you liked learning a little bit more about me. I look forward to hearing the answers to these questions when you write back to me.
I love you!
Here is the church themed letter:
In this letter, I would like to tell you about my church and what it is like. I attend church every Sunday, unless I am away from my city or I am sick. I am very happy attending my church. The church I attend is called Second Presbyterian Church. It is large church with many people. It is a very nice place to spend time.
The pastor at my church is called Pastor Dave. He is a very kind man and is very knowledgeable about God's word in the bible. I really enjoy listening to his sermons. I feel like I learn very much from him. I have put his picture on the bottom of this letter so you can see what Pastor Dave looks like.
My church has three different times that people can attend worship services. Each service is different and unique in it's own way. My church has planned these different services so each person can choose to attend a service that they can learn the most through. The first service is at 8:15 a.m and the second service is at 9:00 p.m. I arrive at church at 8:15 a.m and I volunteer with the programs for the children. I enjoy this time very much. I mainly help with the babies. I take care of them while their parents are attending church services. I love babies. I think they are very sweet.
After volunteering with the babies, I attend the third church service. service starts at 11:00 a.m. This service is more modern and most of the people that attend are young families and young adults. At this service, we have a worship band. In the band, we have drums, guitars, a keyboard, and some singers to sing worship songs. Singing worship songs is my favorite part of the service. I feel closest to God when I'm singing songs. The church service ends around 12:30 p.m.
Do you attend church on Sundays? Can you tell me about what your church is like? I would like to hear how people worship in your community.