Adsense

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Letters to My Kids: May 2014

This month I wrote two letters to my sponsored children. At the beginning of the month, I wrote about a trip that I took with my mom and grandma. We went to visit some of my family in Indiana and I wrote a simple letter about it. I included pictures of my uncle and aunt, my two cousins, and their dog on the bottom of the letter. Here is what I wrote: 

_______________________________________________________________________________

I want to tell you about a trip that I recently took with my family. A few weeks ago, I went with my mother and my grandmother to the state of Indiana. This is where my uncle Mike, aunt Jennifer, and two cousins, Reagan and Sophia live. It was about a three hour drive to their house. The drive didn't feel too long because we spent time talking and listening to music. It was very nice.

When we arrived at my uncle and aunt's house we said hello to each other and spent some time talking to each other. We had not seen each other since last summer, so we had a lot to catch up on. My cousin Reagan is 16 years old and just got her license to drive. She is now able to drive herself to school every morning. My little cousin, Sophia just turned 8 years old in February. She is in 2nd grade and is doing very well in school.She was very fun to play with. We spent time playing games together.

After awhile, we all went together to get lunch at a restaurant. We decided that we would get pizza. It was very good. After lunch, we went for a long walk through the town that they live in. We looked at and visited many shops along the streets. It was a very nice day so there were many people also out walking on the streets. We saw many shops for clothing, shoes, food, and art. It was fun to look at everything, but I didn't buy anything that day. After walking for awhile, we came to a shop that sold ice cream. My uncle decided to buy ice cream for everyone. We were all very happy. Do you like ice cream?

After our walk, we went back to my uncle and aunt's home. We took some time to relax and rest. Some people took a nap and other people did quiet activities, like reading a book. It was nice to spend some time relaxing. I decided to go outside and play with my uncle's big, black dog. Her name is Anita. She was very cute. She liked playing with her soccer ball.

We only stayed with my family for the day. When it started to get late, we got back in our car and drove home. It was a very nice day. Have you visited any of your family members recently?

- Kayla

_______________________________________________________________________________

Towards the end of this month, I wrote a letter about Friendship Day, which is celebrated on August 3rd, for those that know. When I was teaching preschool (I taught at a daycare, so it was all year round), I celebrated Friendship Day with them and I thought it would be fun to celebrate it with my sponsored children, now that I'm not teaching anymore. 

I shared with my kiddos about what Friendship Day is. I also shared about how some people don't have many friends and how some people many be lonely. I handwrote all of these letters (in fact, I'm still not done with everyone. 34 letters take a long time to write) I included a blank notecard with each letter and asked the children to write a message to somebody they think is lonely and share it with them. I'm looking forward to hearing some fun stories about what they do with these cards. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, my dear friend. How are you doing? Is everything going well with your family? Is there anything new going on in your life? 

In the United States, on August 3rd, we will celebrate Friendship Day. This is a day to show our friends that we love them and to tell them how important they are to us. This year, I am writing letters to all of my friends, including you. I thank God that we can be friends and write letters to each other. It is a blessing to know you. 

On this day, I also think about the people around me who are lonely or don't have many friends. I am sending you a card with this letter. I want you to write a message on this card and give it to someone who seems lonely. Maybe there is somebody at your project who doesn't receive any letters from their sponsor or someone at your school who doesn't have many friends. A card from you could make them very happy. 

As a gift, I am also sending you a little card with a bible verse on it. I hope that you like it. 

Love, 
Kayla

________________________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. What fun letters! I especially like the idea of writing about friendship day. Thanks for the ideas!!

    ReplyDelete