Adsense

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

First Letter from Emanual

I received a first letter from Emanuel in Tanzania. It was a short letter, but that's pretty typical for a first letter. It's hard to write in detail to a complete stranger. :) 

One thing I did like is that his project attached his Compassion Report Form, for the year 2013. He told some of the things he learned in the project and it gave me his grades from school. Unfortunately, in all 9 of his classes Emanuel either got a Poor or a Fail grade, according to chart it provided at the bottom of the form. Looks like I will writing him some letters on the importance of education. Hopefully I can write some letters to boost his confidence. I find that lack of confidence tends to play more into difficulty at school that a lack of intelligence does. 

However, even though his grades were so poor in 2013, this year he was still allowed to move up to Form III, simply because his grades didn't fall into the fail category. To me, that is a little disheartening. I can only pray that his school performance is better this year. 

Emanuel is 17 years old. This letter is dated April 22nd, 2014. 
_________________________________________________________________________________


Dear Kayla, 

I salute you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. I and my family are doing fine. What you you, how are you doing? Now I am in Form III and I am home from school for Easter holidays. We will open the school on April 28th. I would like you ask you a question. How did you celebrate Easter? I wish to give you a memory verse, that is Psalm 133:1 - "How good and pleasant is it when God's people live together in unity." God bless you and your life. 

Emanuel

Education Progress Report Form 2013

Subjects learned this year at the center:

Physical/Health: Dental Care
Social: Thinking through problems and solutions
Spiritual: Preparation for studying the Bible
Livelihood: Cooking, Carpentry, Tailoring
Special Events at the Center: French and Learning Computer

Current Class: Form II

The boy didn't enter Form III this year because of poor performance in his National Exams last year. 

Student's Performance in Secondary School

Mathematics: 19
Civics: 24
Biology: 35
Chemistry: 24
Physics: 20
Geography: 26
History: 28
Kiswahili: 32
English: 24

Average: 25.78

D=21-40 Poor
F= 0-20 Fail 

_______________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you'll find this discouraging or not, but all the kids my family and I have had from Tanzania have been in the poor to fail range for grades. But they've learned vocational skills!! I loved seeing all that he can learn in that area!! And hopefully you'll be able to encourage him in his learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While that is a little discouraging, it's always completely understandable. I'm guessing the schoolwork is standard throughout the country, from the rich private schools to the poor rural schools without school supplies or properly trained teachers. It must be so difficult for the Compassion assisted kids to learn.

      Since he is 17, he still has a few more years in school. I will continue to encourage him in his schooling, but also in other forms of training too.

      Delete