Adsense

Saturday, May 11, 2013

"First Letter" from Fongwin!

I got a "first letter" from Fongwin today!

I was assigned him as a correspondent child on March 15th. The letter is actually dated March 14th and the part he wrote is addressed to Lori. The translation is addressed to me. So, they wrote it on March 14th with Lori in mind and then I'm guessing when they looked at this records during translation, they saw my name. Funny.

Either way, it's talking about things that don't really apply to me, but it's nice to hear anyway. He's a nice writer. It makes me excited to get a letter where the messages are for me!


Side note: This little guy's name is Thawatchai, but he goes by Fongwin. I'm wondering if that's a nickname, or perhaps his middle name.

Here's the letter:


____________________________________________________________________________________

 
 
 
Dear Kayla,
 
Hello. My name is Phasinee, project staff. I write on behalf of Thawatchai. He is so happy to write to you again. He thanks you for your sponsorship and your care. Thank you for the birthday gift. He spent it on some study aids. His school is closed. He is asking if it is the school break there yet. He and his family are fine. It is so hot here. He likes to swim to cool down. He is asking if you like swimming. Please pray for him. He hopes to write to you again next time. Finally, may God bless you with joy and good health.
 
Love in Christ,
Staff
 
________________________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. That's exciting that you received the first letter so quickly!! But I bet the next letter from him (one that's really aimed at you) will be even better...something to look forward to. I like how she shared that he likes to swim!! And I enjoyed all his questions...it looks like he's going to be a good correspondent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only received this letter quickly because it wasn't for me. It was written a day before I was even his correspondent sponsor. But, yes, it was nice to get.

      Delete
  2. What a great first letter :D Did you ask him about cooling down? I had recently asked all my kids how they cool down in hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't ask him any of these questions. The letter was in response to something his financial sponsor asked him. This letter from him was written before I was his correspondent sponsor.

      Delete
  3. He is such a cutie! I bet he will be fun to get to know. I work with Thai refugees and they all go by completely different names than what they actually are. They are all Karen or Hmong, and their reason for that is because they are born with names that translate to things like "white flower" and "love little love" (literally!), but once they grow older they are given nicknames that actually fit their personalities, like "laughing" or "pretty bird". Just thought you might find that interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting! Thank you for sharing it with me. I looked it up and Thawatchai means "Flag of Victory". I couldn't find the name Fongwin anyway. I'll have to ask him about it.

      Delete