Adsense

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Letters to My Kids: February 2013

Each month, I like to post the letters that I wrote to my sponsored and correspondent children. I do this for a couple of reasons.

One, because I am forgetful and I didn't post them I would never remember what I wrote about. My kids would probably end up with the same letter 3 if I didn't have a record of what I write. It also helps when I get a response letter from one of the kids talking about something I wrote, I can look back to see when I sent that letter and get an idea of how long mail take to get to and from my kids.

Two, writing letters can be hard. Coming up with new and creative ideas can be a challenge. I love looking at other people's blogs and finding letter writing ideas. I hope that by posting the letters that I'm writing, other sponsors can get ideas of things to write about to their kids. I really enjoy the community of sponsorship bloggers there are online and how we seem to constantly be sharing ideas with each other.

Here are the letters I wrote to my kids this month:

__________________________________________________________________________________

To my younger kids, I wrote a letter about Daniel and the Lion's Den

Has anyone ever gotten angry at you for something you believe in? Do you sometimes do what other kids tell you because you want them to like you? I want to tell you a story about a man who did not give in to those around him. he did what he believed in and God protected him.

A long time ago, there was a man named Daniel. He lived in a city called Babylon. Daniel was good friends with the king of Babylon. Some men in the city were jealous of Daniel because of this friendship. They watched Daniel to see if he did anything wrong, so they could get Daniel in trouble. But, the men didn't see Daniel do anything wrong. They only saw Daniel pray to God every day.


 These men made a wicked plan. They wanted Daniel to get in trouble. The men went to the king and told him to make a new law. This law said that anybody caught praying to God would have to be thrown in the lion's den. Daniel heard this new law but he didn't stop praying to God. Daniel knew that if he got caught praying, he would be thrown into the lion's den. But, Daniel loved God very much and knew that it was important to pray to him everyday, so he continued to pray. Daniel was caught praying and he was taken to the king. The king liked Daniel and didn't want to hurt him, but he had to follow his new law. Daniel was thrown into the den with the lions.

Daniel was very scared! He prayed to God all night to keep him safe. He prayed that the lions wouldn't hurt him. God heard Daniel's prayer and closed the lion's mouths so they couldn't eat Daniel. God protected Daniel! The next morning, the king went to see Daniel and was surprised that Daniel was alive! The king saw that God was good and he chose to believe in God too.

God will keep you safe too. Always trust in God and do what is right.



I included this picture with the letter

___________________________________________________________________________________


With my older kids, I shared with them the Parable of the Sower.

Today I want to tell you about one of my favorite parables that Jesus taught, the Parable of the Sower. You can find this parable in Matthew 13:1-23. I encourage you to read these verses in the bible and pray about them on your own time.

We are the seed. God has called us to spread the seed of His word throughout the world. The question we must answer is, "What happens to us after the seed (the Word of God) is sown into our hearts. Look at the what happened to the seed in the parable.

Some seed was sown by the wayside. The wicked one came and snatched the seeds from the very heart of the man before it could even take root.

Some seed was sown on stony places. This represented the one who received the Word of God with great joy. However, when troubles came, the seed was not rooted in the truth, and the person stumbled. We could say that this is an example of the person who is guilty of hearing without obeying.

Some seed fell among the thorns. This represented the person who heard the Word of God, but the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choked the Word, preventing the seed to grow and mature.

Some seed is sown on good ground. The person who received seed on the good ground is the one who hears the word and understands it, who bears fruit and produces more fruit.

As a Christian I ask you, which seed are you? As you are entering the world of adulthood, this is one of the most important questions you should ponder.

When you are dealing with problems, I pray that you represent the seed sown in the fertile field of God's Word.


I included this picture with the letter

__________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment