Adsense

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Letters to My Kids: January 2013

I almost forgot to post this! As today is the last day of January, I want to share what I wrote to my kids this month. I like to do this as a way to hopefully inspire sponsors to write to their children and as a way to share ideas with those of you who already sponsor.

I want to let you know that this went to all of my kids. Things were taken away and/or added to make each letter personal for each specific child. On top of this themed letters, I also wrote a handwritten letter to each child asking about specific things that they have told me in letters or asking them about their family. I like writing a personal letter every 1-2 months. It's fun for me!

This month, the theme letter I wrote to my children was about the weather (cold!) in Illinois. I shared pictures of snow on a tree and a snowman that I built with one of my friends.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Jhon, 


How are you, my friend? I am very happy to be writing this letter to you today. Things with me and my family are going well. I am doing well with my job and I really enjoying spending the day with my students. They are working hard in their learning and having a lot of fun playing together. I am blessed to be a teacher.

In the United States, we are now in the season of winter. Where I live, in the state of Illinois, winter means that it is very cold outside. It is usually around -6 degrees celcius! Very cold! It is also very windy outside. To protect myself from this cold, I have to wear a warm coat, gloves, and a hat to stay warm in the cold. While I am very grateful to God for weather and for changing seasons, to be honest, winter is not my favorite season. I don't like to be cold! I much prefer to be warm and for it to be hot and sunny outside. I am looking forward to when spring comes in a couple of months and it starts to get warmer outside again.

One thing that I do like about winter is snow. I think snow is very beautiful! I think it is one of God's wonderful creations.  Anyway, we have not gotten a lot of snow yet this winter, only a few inches here and there. I've put some pictures on this page to show you some of the snow we got. You can see my footprints in the snow in one of the pictures. One day, it snowed enough that my friends and I went outside and made a man out of the snow. Usually, making a snow-man is something that small children do for fun in the winter, but I thought it was fun too. When it is not too cold outside, the snow sticks together and can be made into different shapes. It's very fun, but very cold, so we don't stay outside for very long. You can see a picture of a snowman on the bottom of this page too.

Does it snow where you live? I know that it can snow in some places in Bolivia, but maybe it doesn't snow where you live. What season is it right now in Bolivia? That is all I have to say for now. I hope you are having a great day!

Love,
Kayla

_________________________________________________________________________________

As you can read, this letter was to my kiddo Jhon in Bolivia. The other letters were pretty much the same. I chanegd the name of the country (obviously) for each child and included other information about snow to those children whose country never sees snow.

What did you write about in January?

5 comments:

  1. Great letter :)
    my January letter was my Hogmanay letter at the start of the month. I'm preparing to write my February letters in the next few days. I'm thinking about writing to my kids about music, but I might struggle to fill a whole letter with that, we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, a music letter! What are you thinking of writing in the letter?

      Delete
  2. I kind of write all different letters to each of my kids, but with several of them I wrote about a trip I took in December (a few days before Christmas) to see one of my favorite music groups and how I got to see them afterwards and talk to them.

    It's kind of hard living in South Florida where our weather is 78+ degrees in winter because while everyone else is writing letters about snow and sharing photos of snow, I'm like "Well....it's hot outside....like it always is....but in other parts of the US it's really cold right now!" Hahahahahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for the personal/different letters for each child too. I love writing the same letter to each child, usually in email form, especially if it's something I want all of the children to know about, like how I am spending my winter. But, it's fun to get into details of each child too.

      Your "winter" letter cracks me up!

      Delete
  3. I've not got it completely figured out, but I'm thinking of talking about different genres of music, instruments & bands/singers. I'll see how it comes out on the letter.

    I dont tend to write about the weather, it'd be too repetitive
    "In Scotland, it's summer & it's raining & windy"
    "In Scotland, it's winter & it's raining & windy". You get the picture haha

    ReplyDelete