In 2008 the government of Sierra Leone continued to work on reducing corruption. High levels of unemployment, low labor productivity, and a lack of irrigation structures and tools contributed to high food insecurity. Although school enrollment is increasing, the gender gap is still widening. Sierra Leone continues to rank at the bottom of the Human Development Index, with more than two-thirds of the population living below the natinal poverty line.
Bagbo Community Accomplishments
- Formed a Church, Hope, and Action team wiht 60 people, empowering them to educate their congregation about HIV and AIDS.
- Honored 2,612 children birthday parties, distributing biscuits and gifts.
- Educated 700 women and 140 community leader on safe motherhood, improving child child care and well-being.
- Distributed 1,000 mosquito nets to pregnant women and children, reducing the risk of malaria.
- Conducted medical check-ups and deworming for 2,500 children.
- Trained 60 traditional birth attendents on maternal-child health.
- Trained 60 teachers on life skills, enabling them to promote healthy choices to their students.
- Educated 300 students on life skills, empowering them to be peer educators in the community.
- Constructed three wells to increase access to safe water.