Well, I know it's been a few weeks since my birthday, but I've come across this fad on the internet recently and it shows people writing blogs or making Youtube videos of 25 things about themselves that others may not know, as a way to celebrate turning 25 years old. I've seen people do them for other birthdays too, but mostly, I've seen 25, probably because it's a nice round number.
If there are two things I can get behind its nice round numbers and making lists. So I decided that I would jump on this bandwagon. Without further ado:
25 Things About Kayla
1. I made a bunny rabbit at Build a Bear Workshop when I was 9 years old. Her name is Ears. I brought her to college with me. I still sleep with her everyday.
Ears with my college roommate's sock monkey
2. My favorite food is a ceasar salad. Followed closely by chips and salsa.
3. I'm about as introverted as it gets. I thrive behind a computer screen because it's easier to talk to people that way.
4. I'm a Starbucks addict. I drink some form of their coffee everyday, whether it's brewed at home or bought at one of the stores.
5. I backpacked through four countries of Europe (Spain, France, England, Ireland) with my two best friends in 2009.
6. My favorite season is summer. I love everything about being outside in the heat and humidity. I love playing with sunscreened kiddos, playing in the water, geocaching, going for long walks, having picnics, etc.
7. My freshmen year of college, I pledged a co-ed Greek fraternity. We were a service organization and we did a lot of service projects. However, we were the stereotypical Greek fraternity, as well. Pledging, wild parties, secret songs and handshakes, pranks, etc.
8. I started working when I was 15 years old. Since then, I have never worked less than two jobs at a time.
9. I have a 3-way tie for my favorite band: We the Kings, The Avett Brothers, and Rend Collective Experiment.When I see them live, I'm the crazy fan who jumps up and down and screams all the lyrics until I lose my voice. Don't judge.
10. Saturday is the only day of the week that I don't work. Friday night is my "party" night. I take a nap from about 3-6 p.m and then I stay up until the sun rises on Saturday morning. I spend my time drinking large amounts of caffeine, watching movies, listening to music, and writing long blog posts like this one.
11. I started playing the clarinet when I was in 5th grade. During my Jr. year of high school, I switched to bass clarinet. I played bass clarinet all through college and traveled to many places in the country playing. I played for a couple years after college and then sold my bass clarinet. I wasn't playing it anymore and it was just sitting in my closet. Sometimes I miss playing, but it was worth it when I used the money to go to Honduras.
12. I have a dream of sponsoring/corresponding with 50 children at one time. I'm currently at 34.
13. I play bingo every Saturday night with my grandma and my mom. We have done it for years and I don't intend to stop anytime soon.
14. My least favorite chore to do is wash dishes. I would love to own a dishwasher. I generally only wash dishes when I completely run out of something. It's usually spoons that run out first.
15. I've never been in a serious relationship. Over the years, I was more interested in casual dating. That idea is beginning to change in my head and I'm becoming more open to finding somebody to settle down with. Know any good guys? ;)
16. My sisters owns two pit bulls and I absolutely love them. I can't wait to own a pitbull of my own someday. Such loving dogs.
17. I graduated college with a degree in Early Childhood Education and I've been using it since graduation (lucky, I know). I taught preschool for two years. I am now the Child Care Director at my church and I work as a daytime nanny for a 2 1/2 year old boy and an 11 month old girl. I love working with my kiddos!
18. I love making tie-dye shirts. There is just something magical about combining colors and seeing how they turn out when you untie them. I haven't found a color combination that I don't love.
19. I will be in my very first wedding in October. My best friend is getting married!
20. I have several ear piercings. Right now, I have three in my right ear and two in my left ear. I have plans for (as soon as I can save up the money) for 2-3 more in each ear. Maybe more.
21. I have worn glasses since 6th grade. I have no desire to wear contacts. I love wearing glasses and don't feel like myself if I'm not wearing them. I choose frames that fit my personality. Currently, they are big, thick frames with blinged out flowers and jewels.
22. I've had a rash of huge car repairs over the last 6 months. I have been at the mechanic every 6-8 weeks during this time period to have something fixed. I drive a 2003 Hyundai and it will be paid off in one year. It only has 70,000 miles on it. I would really love for it to last several more years. Plus, I'm pretty much out of money to keep fixing it.
23. I'm a big Harry Potter nerd. I've read the series probably five times. I can kick your butt at Harry Potter trivia. Just saying.
24. I'm a chronic time-loser. I've come to know this is a characteristic of introverts. I can sit down at my computer in the afternoon and get completely wrapped up in something. The next time I look up, it's pitch black in my apartment and the clock says 10:00 p.m. Happens all the time.
25. I'm a quarter-hoarder. Laundry is serious business. :)
Well, there you have it. 25 odd and interesting facts about me.