Adsense

Monday, October 8, 2012

Give Me My Daily Bread

I've recently aquired a copy of the book Hope Lives: A Journey of Restoration. It's basically amazing. It's a book of 25 days worth of reading showing what our lives are supposed to look like when it comes to money and supporting the poor.

I've had the book for over a week and I'm only on Day 2, haha. What can I say, I read something and think about it for a long time. Day 2 focused on Proverbs 30: 8-9. It reads:

"Keep falsehood and lies from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?', or I may become poor and steal and so dishonor the name of my God"

Of course, I think about this verse in relationship to child sponsorship (as I do with most things I hear or read).

I'll be the first to admit that when I receive money, the first thing I think of is what I could buy with this money. Things that I like to do and want to do like: a dinner out at Flattop, that awesome new pair of converse shoes I saw at Journeys, copious amounts of ice cream, or some kind of weekend trip. You know, things a typical young woman likes to buy and do.

But then I always try to take a break, pray, and ask God what he wants me to with the money. After his answers to pay my bills, of course (haha), my mind and heart always shift to what I can do for the kids I sponsor. Can I pay off some months early (very rare occurance), does one or more of my kids need an extra gift due to a hard situation, can I sponsor another child completely?

My prayer after reading this verse is that God will simply give me what I need day to day. I pray that I am responsible enough to know when I should not be spending money and I pray that I am open to God's will enough that I do not attempt to save more than I need to.

The world has tried to teach me that in order to be successful in life, I need to be rich. I need to hide away my money and save it up. Save it up for what? I don't really know. What's the point of gaining more and more money if nothing is ever going to be done with it, except passing it on to family after I die? Keep those falsehoods and lies away from. I will not believe that God wants me to use the money he has provided me like that.

God gives me enough resources for me to survive and thrive. I am rich (whether I want to believe it or not). I have three meals a day (plus snacks if I want to), clothing, a home, heat, air conditioning, access to quality healthcare, TV, interent access, and tons of other things that kids in 3rd world countries can only dream about.

Why should I not give my extras to those that have nothing at all?

Give us this day our daily bread.


EDIT!

Since I couldn't seem to make a complete thought while writing this entry, I'm going to quote my friend Amanda, who wrote exactly how I'm feeling in her blog:


"God, I feel a richness of life and self as I give my money away. How strange of an idea is that? Truly, it's bizarre to me. The world values money over anything else. But what good is it if you only spend it on yourself? It's common, pointless, and quickly vanishes. But, oh, using money that you've given us to glorify you, to love intentionally, to spread the gospel - that is so blessed and fulfilling!


I have so much more to accomplish for you. More changes to make. More people to love. You give me hope in my kids; the beautiful children you've put in my life, who face so much adversity. There is something about each and every one of them that has called out to me and drawn me to them, and I can't thank you enough for that."

No comments:

Post a Comment